Friday, June 12, 2015

In these shoes?

A regular customer came into the shop today and she was wearing shoes that were about a size too small and she was having difficulty walking in them.  They were wedges, but they were a little too narrow and her feet were just busting at the seems.  I felt kinda bad for her, but that was her choice I suppose. 

Why do so many women wear shoes that are uncomfortable just because they look good?

I used to wear "heels" when I was in the corporate world, but only when absolutely needed. I'm not graceful in them and most of the heels I wore were the chunky thick ones, not the skinny spiked ones.  

Since I've been in the retail field I've worn mostly flat shoes, sneaker, mules, clogs, boots. All the shoes that make your feet get wide and fat.  

I've always kind of admired women who wear heels and rock them.  

I tried a few times in the 70's - remember Candies?  All the popular girls had them in junior high...I wanted to be popular.  




Ugh...I actually wore them, walked to school in them which was a mile away...(uphill each way) and then wore them all day.

What the hell was I thinking?  I had blisters on top of blisters.  Plastic death shoes. 

In my girly girl days (this lasted maybe between 1980 and 1990), I would occasionally get dressed up and wear small heals...nothing bigger than an inch.  Anything bigger than that and I'd fall off my shoes.  (No, seriously!)

I could do wedges...I had better balance in them.  I was all over them in the late 70's early 80's.  Then they went out of style and the few pair that I had left eventually wore out.  

In my young Mommy days...I wore shoes that I could slip on and slip off at a moment's notice.  Keds were my shoe of choice.  

If I dressed up...it was always flat sandals in the summer and in the winter a loafer of some kind perhaps.  I didn't wear dresses very often and when I did I looked like the church lady so loafers were perfect.  


I had this dress!  Yes I did...I was the perfect Sunday School Teacher...oh yes...yes I was!  I had it in olive green, barn red and brown.  It was corduroy and I always wore it with a turtleneck.  

I was the queen of style I gotta tell ya!  

When I got divorced and I had to get a job and work for a living it was time to "dress it up" a bit. Lucky for me my job was a bit casual and "chinos" and colored jeans were OK to wear. That is when I wore the hell out of these babies:


Notice the heel...very minimal.  I think I must have had 10 pair of these things.  I'd wear them out and then get a new pair.

I was fortunate enough that all of the jobs I had were casual wear...not even business casual.  It was just plain casual.  

Then came the job where I had to wear a suit occasionally.  Laced up ankle boots would NOT cut it!  

That is when I got the standard "A" business woman who can't wear heels heels and they looked like this:

I had them in black, blue and brown.  

Now that is a sexy shoe isn't it?  

Not exactly CFMP's!!!

Utilitarian, comfortable and I could walk/stand in them all day.  I'm a very practical gal.  

But for all the gals that squeal over the newest, funkiest, spikiest shoes...this one is for you!





No comments: