Friday, November 21, 2008

Random rants

Wow there are just too many things I want to post about and I'm having a hard time keeping them in any kind of order.

Actually, there is no order to them it is the chaos that is my brain the past few days. I'm in hyper drive.

Things that are wrong with the holidays.

Turkey Shaped Ice Cream Cakes.


Putting up Christmas Trees when Thanksgiving isn't even here yet. Here is a picture of the festive tree in our office building.

Nice balls eh?

Holidays - bah hum bug. I love them and hate them at the same time. I like to play Christmas songs while I'm decorating the tree, but no one helps me so it's just for myself anymore. It kind of loses it's umph.

It makes me happy to see a nice little Christmas tree all lit up so I do it year after year.

I'm irritated by the whole bailout thing. I know it's needed, but I don't particularly like it. I don't think the auto industry should get any extra money. They should ask Exxon/Mobil to bail them out, they have a few hundred billion laying around.

Now I'm worried about deflation.

What is Twilight and how come I never heard of it before? All of a sudden there is all this hype about a teenage vampire movie previewing this week. I LOVE vampires! I guess since I'm not a 13 year old girl I kind of missed the marketing eh?

I heard two really cool songs on XPN and NPR this week, but I can't find any good recordings of them to share with you. So you'll have to take my word for it.

The first one is called Femme l'a Dit by Feufollet. They are a Cajun group from Lafayette, LA.

Click here to give a listen: http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=97089876&m=97109998

Kind of makes me want to put on a swirly skirt and just kind lazily dance around. Now if you know me at all, you'll know I don't wear skirts so that's saying a LOT about this song! It definitely conjures up a dimly lit smoky little bar in Louisiana where people listen to the song but still carry on quiet conversations with each other while sipping on a beer out of the bottle, tapping their toes.

Fun!

The next one I heard while driving into work and it was just what I needed to wake me up. I was bopping in my car and having a lot of fun with this song.

It's called Borneo by Firewater and I did find a YouTube video for it, so click HERE if you want to give it a listen.

I love finding new music. I have over 3500 song on my iPod and believe it or not I get sick of hearing the same things over and over again.

Last night on my way home however I heard and oldie but goody. M and I had been singing it because one of my blog buddies happens to have wife named Sylvia. (Hi Vic) Now every time I see her name I keep thinking of the song "Sylvia's Mother" by Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show.

Now Vic, I hope you don't get made at me for this, but it's just a little glimmer of how my brain makes associations. Mostly with music.

Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show also sang the fun song: The Cover of the Rolling Stone

Both songs were written by Shel Silverstein. My son and daughter both read some of his poems when they were kids and so did I. I think he is hilarious and fun to read.

This weeks Musical Musings go out to my blog buddy Vic Hubbard over at Tumblewood and his wife Syliva who I am sure is very happy with Vic! After all they have that 1o second kiss they do every day! :)





Do you think they were just a little bit stoned when they recorded this? HA!

Happy Weekend all. M and I will be off to see my niece play in the Junior Symphony on Sunday. That will be a lot of fun!

8 comments:

Vic Hubbard said...

LOLOL!!! I think they were stoned when they did anything. I loved Doctor Hook and his Medicine Show. I'll tell Sylvia she's famous now.;) I'm gonna be grouchy for awhile..I'm trying to quit smoking...again, this weekend.

neetzy said...

Shaz,

Loved Dr. Hook. I can't believe Shel Silverstein write those lyrics!

According to D & A Twilight sucks! D tried to read it and the writing was so poor she had to stop. The characters have no flaws. There is too much purple prose. The vampire is a 180 year old virgin, vegetarian, and he sparkles! Come on now. I am embarrassed to admit that some of my students are obsessed with the sparkly vampire.

Scout said...

I am perturbed about all the early Christmas decorations, too. And I had never heard of Twilight until just this week and was surprised to learn it's a huge publishing hit. If my daughters were younger, I might have known that.

AND, I heard the same NPR bit on Feufollet. I loved them and how they started out as kids and have only gotten better with age. Very cool.

dive said...

Yikes! That turkey cake thing is truly disturbing, Shazza!

As is your office Christmas tree. Our girls will soon be decking the office with crap and driving me crazy with their stupid Christmas songs. Ick!
My house will be - as every year - a Christmas free zone.

I'm totally with you on the bail-out.

A teenage vampire movie? Can they really do that after Buffy? Surely it's going to suck hugely in comparison.

Hoorah for Cajun music. I'll be digging out my old zydeco vinyl to cheer my day. Thank you for that.

Oh sheesh! NO! Doctor Hook? That's got too many awful memories.

Boy, you really DID have lots to blog about today!

Have fun tomorrow at the Symphony!

Lulubelle B said...

If you wanna see some weird turkey cakes, pop over to Cake Wrecks - this site makes me laugh everyday.

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com

neetzy said...

Sorry for the bad grammar. I should have said wrote, not write. Drunken blogging again. I should have to breathe into a machine before I blog after 9:00 p.m.

Presbyfruit's History Bits said...

Lovely balls, indeed.

Kari Hultman said...

You said "balls." heh heh