Friday, June 27, 2008

The Beanbag Chronicles

Wow...another Friday is here already.

Time flies...

I'm off to California today for another conference. I'm just about all out of steam, it's been kind of a hectic month.

This is the last one for a while thankfully!!!

BUT...I couldn't leave without some leaving you some depressing music from my pre-teen years to get you through the weekend!

That's right...it's time for another episode of "The Beanbag Chronicles"



These were the songs that eased a pimply faced, greasy feathered haired, desert shoe wearing, freckled and bespectacled, hormone raging pre-teenager sitting in my bean bag chair, with my big clunky head phones on, basking in the glow of my lava lamp and multiple candles dripping on old Chianti bottles that my parents threw away.

As with most 7th and 8th graders just when you start to become sexually aware of "things", Mother Nature plays a nasty trick on you and decides to turn you into the most revolting creature on earth!

I turned to music and clung to the tunes that I thought must have been written by people who could have read my mind and knew exactly what kind of torment I was going through.

No awkward pre-teen depression would be complete with out some music by the Carpenters.

Even people who never liked the Carpenters, know all the words to their songs and will sing along whenever they play them on the radio.

Oh...Karen....poor Karen. Such talent...so pretty and so tormented by her own demons. There will never, EVER be a voice as silky, smooth or as beautiful as hers.

She battled with depression and anorexia and in the end her tired broken heart just gave out on her.

It's hard to pick just "one" of their songs for this series...so many of them tell of loneliness, heartbreak, depression and a longing to find the love that will make that all go away.

Rainy Days and Mondays
It's Going to Take some Time Again
I Won't Last a Day Without You
Masquerade
Hurting Each Other
Goodbye to Love

:::sigh:::

They had quite a few heartbreak songs.

The one I've picked for today is: I Need to Be in Love

I used to sing this song, in my hairbrush at the top of my lungs - only Karen knew my pain...

So here I am with pockets full of good intentions

But none of them will comfort me tonight

I'm wide awake at 4 a.m. without a friend in sight

I'm hanging on a hope but I'm all right


I know I need to be in love

I know I've wasted too much time

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world

And fool enough to think that's what I'll find








We miss you Karen!



Have a nice weekend everyone!

1 comment:

dive said...

Sigh …
Every one of my schoolfriends had a thing for Karen Carpenter (except, Andy, Paul and Stephen, who fancied Richard).
I remember learning that lovely Tony Peluso solo in Goodbye To Love and sticking bits of it into all sorts of songs when playing live.
I just checked the vinyl vault and I still have all of my Carpenters albums, including the last one with Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Crap on it (hey, that's what it sounded like to me at the time).
She was great. And a fine drummer, to boot.