Sunday, June 15, 2008

Away

I am traveling again.

This time to the Pacific Northwest.

Normally I will bring a book with me on the plane. This is in case I don't like the movie they are showing. Since I finished my previous book - Divisidero by Michael Odnaajte...I went into the basement where M has her collection of books and tried to find something that looked interesting to me.

I noticed something about myself during my search. I tend to read the same kind of books over and over again, so when I was looking at the description of the books I was picking...it sounded kind of familiar, but I didn't know if I had already read it.

I need to break out of that pattern!

The one I selected is called: The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer.

When I got to the airport and whipped out the book to read while waiting for the plane to board, I letter fell out of the middle of it! The post mark date is Aug. 4, 2003

I wish I could say it was some kind of steamy love letter and I had small voyeuristic view of a passion that burned nearly 5 years ago - nope...not that kind of letter. It looks like it was written to a student from a teacher.

Dear ----,

Hi! How are you? I am doing well. How was Cape Cod? I hope you had a lot of fun. I am getting ready to leave for my vacation. I am going to Long Beach Island in New Jersey. Well, I have to go now. Write me back soon.

From, Ms. ------- (then it had a little smiley face)

The simplistic nature of it made me think this was written by an elementary teacher to perhaps a favorite student.

In the same envelope - there were two other pieces of paper: one had a few phone numbers written on it and the other was a recipe for Bob Chicken.

Here's the recipe:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
1/2 Cup Oil (not olive)
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp Lowery's seasoned salt
1 1/2 tsp salt
(1 egg - optional)

9 - 10 Pieces

I am going out on a limb to think that perhaps you coat the chicken with the seasoning and then bake it or grill it? Sounds like a bit too much salt for me.

Perhaps the Mom of the young person the letter was addressed to read the book one summer and used the envelope as a book mark so that she wouldn't forget where it was!

I think I'll just keep the letter in the book and one day when M decides to sell all of her books someone else will find it and they'll have a new recipe for chicken! Maybe they'll look at the stamp which was .37 cents and say "Wow...it only cost .37 to mail a letter back then?"

This will be my little contribution to the mystery of history. Who knows...maybe someday the young person that this letter is addressed to may become rich and famous and this letter will be worth lots of money!?!?

nahhhhhhh...probably not.

It's fun to be in my head sometimes though...I have all kind of weird shit going on up there!

2 comments:

dive said...

The Mystery of History … I love it, Shazza!

You ought to add a recipe of your own; something to complement the chicken. Perhaps the next finder will add another and the thing will go on for ever (or at least until it runs out of space).

Did you try the phone numbers?

Oh, and by the way I am not (so far as I know) from Clausen's Pier.

Have fun in the lovely North-West!!!

Snooker said...

I love the phrase "The Mystery of History".
Nice post!