Friday, March 14, 2008

Drippin' with Cheeze

Howdy Blog pals!

One of the primary components of the Drippin' with Cheeze songs is loss.

Loss of life, lose of love, loss of a way of life...loss of something.

Let's do a re-cap of the songs we've had so far:

Run Joey Run - Joey dies
The Night Chigao Died - at least 100 cops were dead and some mobsters too!
One Tin Soldier - Everyone on the mountain died
The Night that the Lights Went out in Georgia - Andy dies and so does the cheatin' wife!
Copacabana - Tony dies
Wildfire - "she" dies. I am not quite sure who she is...but she dies.
I've Never Been to Me - Let see...she lost her virginity, she lost her dignity, she hints around that there were a few children in there that she may have lost somehow, and she definitely lost a life she could have had.
Cherokee Nation - They lost their way of life

Kind of depressing in a way.

Today's song though - has them all beat in my book!

:::WARNING - IF YOU ARE NURSING A HEARTACHE OR SUFFER FROM SEVERE DEPRESSION PLEASE STOP READING NOW:::

The poor guy in this song gets left at the altar and then is thinking about ending his life.

I remember singing the lyrics to this song for years, but never really understanding the meaning of it and then one day...one sad lonely day; I was in my room alone, sitting in my bean bag chair, big funky headphones on my head...all of the lights out except for my lava lamp - feeling sorry for myself for some reason...and this song came on the radio.

The first notes of the piano hit my ears and I knew the song instantly, but this time I really listened to it.

Oh...I cried...and cried...and cried. (I am a bit of a sap)

This poor man - how awful. He's so all alone...gosh...I guess my life doesn't seem so bad now does it?

It's amazing what a sappy song and a good cry can do for your mood. This one totally snapped me out of whatever funk I was in.

This song is in a certain category I call "over the edge suicidal songs". They are really good to listen to when you need to cry because the desperation of these songs is so intense you can't but bawl your eyes out. (Adia is another one...but we'll save that for another day.)

When you're in a good mood though, it's just sappy drippin', cheezy, wheezy....ugh...yuck.

Anyway - I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and I'll leave you with this happy little tune:

Alone Again (Naturally)
by Gilbert O'Sullivan

In a little while from now,
If I'm not feeling any less sour
I promised myself to treat myself
And visit a nearby tower,
And climbing to the top,
Will throw myself off
In an effort to make it clear to who
Ever what it's like when your shattered
Left standing in the lurch, at a church
Where people 're saying,
"My God that's tough, she stood him up!
No point in us remaining.
May as well go home."
As I did on my own,
Alone again, naturally

To think that only yesterday,
I was cheerful, bright and gay,
Looking forward to,
but who wouldn't do,
The role I was about to play
But as if to knock me down,
Reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch,
Cut me into little pieces
Leaving me to doubt,
All about God and His mercy
For if He really does exist
Why did He desert me
In my hour of need?
I truly am indeed,
Alone again,
naturally

It seems to me that
There are more hearts
Broken in the world That can't be mended
Left unattended
What do we do?
What do we do?

(instrumental break)

Now looking back over the years,
And what ever else that appears
I remember I cried when my father died
Never wishing to have cried the tears
And at sixty-five years old,
My mother, God rest her soul,
Couldn't understand, why the only man
She had ever loved had been taken
Leaving her to start with a heart So badly broken
Despite encouragement from me
No words were ever spoken
And when she passed away
I cried and cried all day
Alone again, naturally
Alone again, naturally

8 comments:

dive said...

Eww! Gilbert O'Sullivan sucked so bad! He gave maudlin songs a bad name. This isn't cheese; it's pavement pizza!
Ick …
Having said that, I think you've just inspired a post.

Shazza said...

HA! Pavement pizza! love it.

I'm glad I have inspired you Dive...looking forward to that post!

Middle Girl said...

I liked Gilbert and I liked this song. It was played over and over and over again, for a time, at one time.

Kari Hultman said...

I didn't even remember this song and had to listen to it on YouTube. Nice hair, Gilbert.

M said...

Just a little clarification on your recap of the songs you have posted. Joey refused to run but did not die the girl dies. She jumps in front of him as her Daddy was going to shoot him. It is really scary that I know the details about this song.

Shazza said...

M!!! She has spoken!

Thank you honey for letting me see the error of my ways!

Lulubelle B said...

Have you heard Pearl Jam's cover of Last Kiss? It's all over the Rock stations here.

Shazza said...

Hey Lulubelle - yes...I have heard it! Good song - it's a remake of an old song by J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers.