Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bathroom etiquette

This is one of my worst pet peeves - bathroom etiquette.

Especially when you share a bathroom with co-workers.

I work in an industry where the workforce is about 80% women.

There are about 100 people who currently work in the office, so that is roughly 80 women sharing a bathroom with only 4 stalls.

Men probably don't think too much about this, but if you are a woman reading this, you're probably thinking that isn't really adequate bathroom facilities.

It would be fine if everyone had the same levels of hygiene and cleanliness - but it's very obvious we don't.

Our office manager sent this e-mail around the office today:

"Also, without getting into too many details, I would appreciate it if better hygiene was practiced in the ladies room. There were a few things brought to my attention this morning that just should not be happening in an office consisting of adults."

Today - it was blood on the floor.

BLOOD ON THE FLOOR!

EW!

It just happened to be in the one open stall that I walked into and I needed to GO, so I grabbed a wad of toilet paper enough to clog the plumbing and wiped it up.

This is not the first time she has had to send an e-mail around like this.

There was an issue of a random turd just sitting next to the toilet.

Can someone please explain to me how this happens? How do you miss getting your turd into the toilet?

I know there are hoverer's - people too afraid to sit on the toilet, but still...you have to have some sense that you are over the hole and do your best to get the shit in the bowl!

We've had turd smears too! If a turd is smeared, that means YOU stepped in it and it's on your shoe!

We have those sani-seat covers if people are too afraid to sit on the seat - geez...can't you use one of them?

Do you have to pee, poop and drip blood on the seat, the floor and the walls of the stall and ruin it for the rest of us? There are only 4 stalls and 80 women!

I'm not even going to speculate how "stuff" gets on the walls, but ew, ew, ew. Gross.

This is not even about being a germ-a-phobe...this is about being inconsiderate, unclean and just downright DISGUSTING!

Back in another lifetime - I used to clean the bathrooms of a gas station that my ex-husband owned. The women's room was 10 times more disgusting than the men's room believe it or not. Some of the "things" I saw in that bathroom was just beyond your worst imagination.

I also cleaned the offices for a moving company I worked for to make extra money when I first got divorced. The bathrooms for the warehouse workers and the truck drivers was dirty, but I never, EVER saw shit on the floor.

Why are women so gross in public bathrooms?

I know it's not clean, it's not fun, but come on - show a little consideration for other people?

Remember that old ryhme:

If you sprinkle
When you tinkle
Please be neat
and wipe the seat!

My friend "N" once said: There is a special place in hell for women who sprinkle all over the toilet seats.

I agree.

It's just wrong.

I would imagine they must be getting themselves wet in the process. Think about this - liquids splash. They are probably splashing themselves with urine!

ew.

I just don't understand, if anyone can enlighten me, please do.

:::stepping off my soap box:::

6 comments:

LG said...

It's been my experience that women are much dirtier than men in the bathroom. Men get a bad rap with leaving the seat up, missing the urinal, etc., but women do some weird shit. From what I've heard from my guy friends and what I've seen in some of the unisex bathrooms I've visited, women are much worse. Ick.

Middle Girl said...

Enlightenment, nada. I'm with you, I don't get it either. Luckily, now I work with in a building of companies with very female employees (or at least few who have a key to the bathroom. I've seen some of what you've seen but it's been on the rare side.

Not so in previous employment situations. I've seen the sprinkle/tinkle posting on bathroom mirrors and also... YOUR MOTHER DOES NOT WORK HERE! CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES. PLEASE.

You really do have to wonder.

Kari Hultman said...

You said "random turd". heh heh

Maria said...

Just this weekend, I was at a movie theater and went to use the restroom. I sat down and you guessed it...the seat was wet. That kind of thing just makes me want to puke. I mean...it totally freaked me out to know that I had someone's URINE on my ass.

Snooker said...

Thanks for dropping by, I really like your blog so far and look forward to reading more.

It really sounds like you work with a group of pigs. Of course the sheer number of people using the facilities will increase the possibilities of such issues.

Kinda makes me happy to be in Germany... the land of the fastidious bathroom habit.

Reminds me a bit of a post I did about toilet etiquette.

Auntie Mame said...

you would not believe what I saw today. I pulled into the parking lot of a Walgreen's to pick up some photos. There in the parking lot in the space next to me, as I got out, I nearly stepped on a used tampon applicator.
Double Capital EW EW