Wednesday, December 26, 2007

It's over

Whew!

I made it through another Christmas.

This is such a confusing time of the year for me. I feel like I'm holding my breath the whole time waiting for something else to happen. Something unexpected. The other shoe to drop.

There is that whole build up that leads up to Christmas. Now it starts in October as soon as Halloween is over. Nearly 2 full months of Christmas songs, holiday displays, holiday sales at the stores because it is in these few weeks when retailers make a large portion of their money. There is the stress at work to make sure things are done before the end of the year since many people take a holiday during that week between Christmas and New Years.

Get the shopping done, clean the house, decorate the house, go to parties, prepare for the big Christmas dinner, clean up after the dinner and then...

nothing.

It's done.

Over!

I always feel such a big let down on Christmas night after everything is cleaned up and put away and we've settled back into watching TV or typing away on the computer.

::::drumming my fingers on the table:::

Ok...now what?

Back to work - no one feels like working during this week. I have to work today and then I am off until Jan. 8th.

New Years? Ha...that's the night M and I struggle to stay up until midnight, give each other the obligatory kiss and then head up to bed and pass out. (We are such the party animals aren't we?)

I have my brother's wedding to look forward to. Me, M and the kiddies are flying out to California on Jan. 3rd for the happy occasion. It won't be a long vacation, but it will be fun and we are getting away for a bit.

Then back into the daily routine which is both comforting and mind numbingly boring at the same time.

I don't feel this way throughout the rest of the year...just for those first few days after Christmas.

I'll get over myself in a few days - I've done this enough times to realize that but until then...I do a lot of sighing, quite a bit of napping, some staring blankly into space.

Maybe I'm just re-charging my batteries - yeah, that's it. I'm recharging!

2 comments:

Kari Hultman said...

Presby was saying just the same thing last night, that she was feeling a bit let down.

It's the figurative equivalent of spending 3 hours making a fabulous dinner that people wolf down in 20 minutes.

At least you have a California vacation/wedding to look forward to! :o)

mccutcheon said...

I know the feeling too. Christmas come and goes and I feel empty for a time. At least until things get back to a routine in the new year. as much as I love Christmas, the time after that always sucks. Mostly because I always feel I haven't made the most out of the time before Christmas, you know, not been feeling very Christmas-ish and all :/