Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Conferences

Love them or hate them, in some industries conferences are extremely necessary.

I like them. I don't mind booth duty, I enjoy talking to people and I enjoy learning new things about the industry I am in.

The one thing I do NOT like about them is the food. It's nearly impossible to eat healthy when you are at these functions.

Breakfast was OK. I got away with a spoonful of slightly runny scrambled eggs and some semi-fresh fruit.

Lunch was tough for me because they served lunch meat which is extremely high in sodium...which makes me turn red as a beet because I have high blood pressure. I had a few slices of turkey and a few slices of cheese and within 5 minutes of digesting I could feel the warmth of the flush creeping up from my neck to my face. (I have learned to wear turtlenecks a lot for this reason)

During the afternoon break they brought out this totally decadent chocolate overload of cookies, cakes, pies, tortes, mousse, Bon-Bons...

DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN!!!!

I would love to say I had the will power to say NO to such decadence....but alas...I am weak of spirit and broad in girth.

Tonight, in my room I'm having a hamburger - sans the bun, and a mixed green salad.

They must have "seasoned" the burger because the royal flush is creeping as I type and the GERD phlegm monster is also wreaking havoc with my esophagus.

ugh

I took a nice brisk walk this afternoon to try and "work off" some of this unhealthy eating I've been doing.

It's 6:32 Kansas City time...I'm ready to take an ambien and pass out for the evening.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4 comments:

Kari Hultman said...

Moral of the story: skip lunch and dinner just eat cookies and other desserts in order to avoid the "flush". That's what I'd do!

Shazza said...

Great idea! You're smart!

Bobby D. said...

a little bit of sunshine, a few brisk walks will do you a world of good.

Shazza said...

Hello D. chedwick - actually I did just that! A colleague and I walked up to the Liberty museum and walked up many, many, many, many steps! It definitely worked some of the kinks out of the body and hopefully some of the carbs off my mid-section.