Monday, November 05, 2007

Sleep

I had my sleep study last night - that was interesting.

My appointment was for 9:45 PM. I am usually in bed by 9:00 most evenings and since we turned the clocks back 1 hour...it was the loooooooooooongest freakin' day. By the time I got to the center - I was ready to sleep!


The Sleep Care Center is located in my area hospital. They took a few rooms and apparently tried to make them look like cheap motel/hotel rooms. It wasn't too bad actually. The only thing that was a bit annoying was the plastic they used to cover the mattress and pillows. The crinkle of the plastic is not something I usually sleep with, but it's only 1 night. I'll deal.


I was to have a split study. The first half I would just be hooked up to the monitors. There were 12 wires attached to me: 2 on the legs, 2 on the back, the rest on my face and head and neck, a band around my chest and another around my waist and then a tube around my nose to monitor my breathing.

The second half...I had to wear the CPAP thingy. I was prepared for a face mask, but this was a bit different...instead of covering my nose...there were two little hoses that went directly to the nostrils and then held in place with a chin strap. (see illustration above!)
I actually got to keep the "mask" as a lovely parting gift!


Surprisingly, or not so surprisingly...I actually slept with all this stuff on me! I know I woke up a few times, but I was able to go back to sleep with not too much tossing and turning.

All in all, it wasn't a bad experience. It was much better than what I anticipated it to be.

My results will be sent to my doctor in about 2 weeks.

It's the waiting part that always drives me nuts.

M is calling me a hosehead now.

Nice...very nice honey.

Thank you for your support! LOL

2 comments:

Kari Hultman said...

I guess "hosehead" is better than "Darth Vader"?

I begged my partner to have a sleep study since she had trouble with snoring and I was concerned she was going to die in her sleep! After the study, turns out she has an abnormally high sleep efficiency. Like 95%.

I suppose that means she's not faking sleep when our dog asks to be let out to go to the bathroom at 5:30 every morning!

Shazza said...

My partner snores as well and also had the sleep study done. Her snoring has more to do with her soft palette than any kind of sleep disorder.

I bought ear plugs! I still hear her just not as loud as before.

I blame the ear plugs for not hearing the dogs in the morning!

heh, heh, heh!