Friday, November 02, 2007

Random Thoughts

I had a hankerin' for a really good turkey sandwich yesterday, so I decided to abandon my usual salad and take a walk to the Reading Terminal to get a sandwich from "The Original Turkey".

The Reading Terminal Market is about a 20 minute walk from where I work. Every time I go, I always try a slightly different route, but this time I just hung a right out of my building and walked up Chestnut Street.

The area in Philly that I work in, is called Olde City. It's the heart of the historic part of Philadelphia. I have all this wonderful history right down the street from me: Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Carpenter's Hall ...

As I walked past Independence Hall, I was watching a lot of the tourists mulling about and taking pictures. There were a few schools there on field trips, families with kids looking less than thrilled with the "old buildings" that their parents were so excited about.

Random Though #1 - I wonder if anyone ever takes pictures of the people taking pictures?

There was a pack of 4 high school aged looking kids walking directly in front of me. 2 boys, 2 girls. The one young lad was hanging all over his girlfriend. He was skinny and scruffy looking, wearing a baggy t-shirt and baggy shorts. He had black high top sneakers on that were unlaced. (I had hoped this was way out of fashion by now, but apparently not) My eyes were immediately drawn to the top of the sneakers where a strap that would normally go around the ankle to secure the sneaker kept whapping the back of his opposite leg as he walked. He was actually getting a red mark where it was hitting him! Between the clunking of the unlaced shoe and the leather whap, whap, whapping the back of his leg, I kept thinking it had to be really uncomfortable.

It didn't appear that he was wearing socks either...I can imagine what those feet smell like at the end of the day.

Going a bit further down Chestnut you will pass by Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. All these enthusiastic interns wearing lab coats and haggard faces pass you by. There was one gal in scrubs and still wearing the little plastic shower cap thing on her head running and fiddling with money in an obvious rush to grab a bite to eat.

I turned right again on 12th Street to walk towards the Market and was following an elderly gentleman wearing a long sleeved jacket, tan pants with tan shorts over the pants and sneakers. He was very busy scratching off some of those instant lottery tickets and walked directly into oncoming traffic while trying to cross the street. He seemed oblivious to the honking horns...looked up only for a second...more to check that he was walking in the right direction rather than being concerned with almost being hit by a car! He didn't look like he was part of the homeless people you see everywhere, he was very clean. He was just busy with his scratch offs and didn't want to be interrupted.

Random thought #2 - I wonder if he's ever won anything!?!?

The Market itself is a really cool place - if you like open markets! It's always buzzing with activity. You can buy fresh produce, fresh seafood, meats, all kinds of different ethnic foods, coffee, fabulous baked goods, spices...etc. Sometimes they have live music as well and it's chaotic and colorful and exciting. It's definitely one of my favorite places to go to.

I stood behind a very frail, thin old man placing his order for a turkey platter. He knew the women that worked there by name and they knew him. They were asking him how he was, and where his sister was today. "She's not feeling well, I'm going to bring her back some lunch." was his reply. As he walked away, I remarked that he is obviously a regular customer here. The woman behind the counter said..."He usually comes with his sister. He is always looking after her."

How sweet and kind of sad in a way.

I got my sandwich: #1 - turkey with lettuce and tomato and had them add stuffing! Mmmmm, mmmm and headed back to my office.

Some days I like to just sit in the market and people watch while I am eating, but today I just wanted to head back and eat at my desk.

As you walk...I guess in any city, your senses are definitely on overload. The sounds are so different from block to block: traffic noise, conversations coming in and out of your range, music from the different shops/restaurants you pass by or from cars. I walked passed a building that was being power washed - and the sound reverberated across the other buildings so it was really loud and a bit obnoxious. You walk another block and it's quiet.

The smells are another thing that just jumps out at you: street vendors selling Philly cheese steaks and hot soups, french fries...delicious! Coffee places with their doors open, bakeries. Then you'll get a whiff of a sewer drain, or garbage truck. Horse manure from the handsome cabs that take visitors through the historic area. Vomit, urine and body odor are others. Cigarette smoke, cigar smoke - people who feel the need to dunk themselves into their perfume or cologne!!! ACK!!!

I decided to walk back on Walnut street, it's a little quieter than Chestnut and I pass by Washington Square park. I cut through the park, just to see what was going on. Park workers were busy cleaning up the leaves and a few schools were there letting some of the kids run off some energy!

I walked through the park behind Independence Hall. It's a nice quiet area where the trees seem to absorb a lot of the traffic noise. I saw a young couple pulling out a blanket to have a picnic lunch on the grass. A man sitting on a bench with his iPod, hunched over eating a sandwich trying not to get anything on his tie and reading a newspaper.

Squirrels were busy digging up and re-burying nuts. Pigeons were fluttering about as I walked towards them.

Another young couple were sitting on a bench and he was attempting to give his gf a kiss...she looked like she'd rather be somewhere else! LOL

Random thought #3 - I wonder if they just had a fight..she doesn't look too happy.

I passed a co-worker outside enjoying a cigarette and looking at the trees...said Hello and headed back to my office.

I opened up my sandwich and took one BIG bite!!! YUUUUMMMMY! Still the best turkey sandwich ever!!!

2 comments:

Kari Hultman said...

Wow, thanks for the tour. Felt like I was there! (Of course, I could have done w/o the vomit and urine, having just had breakfast).

We really need to visit the Olde City. LOML and I both adore historic places. Thanks for the link.

Shazza said...

It really is a very pretty part of Philadelphia and this is a great time of the year to go if you have a chance.

Enjoy!