Monday, October 29, 2007

Interesting Observations

While I've been struggling with weird things that have been happening to me - both physically and mentally, I have made a choice to significantly cut down on my use of alcohol.

M & I have always enjoyed our "weekend wine." We don't normally drink during the weekdays, and we had a routine that one of us would pick up a few bottles of wine on Friday night on our way home from work.

When I started working from home on Mondays and Fridays, my weekends became "extended". I found myself rationalizing that Thursday was really my "Friday" and Monday was really my "Sunday" and heaven forbid I had any "left over wine" lingering around. I wouldn't want it to "go bad!" So, I found that I was drinking Thursday - Monday!

Funny how that happens!

Hmmmmm.....

Sooooooooooo, I cut out the wine altogether. I just found that it was giving me horrible indigestion, nasty headaches and it was totally interrupting my sleep. (guess what folks...alcohol does NOT make you sleep better!)

My consumption of alcohol nowadays is down to: 1 beer after I've been out working in the yard or if we go out to dinner.

It has been interesting to see the reaction of friends, family and co-workers when I decline the offer of a drink.

"Are you OK?"

"Do you want something else - mixed drink?"

"How come you are not drinking anymore?"

"How long is this going to last?"

"Wow!"

"Well, whatever is wrong with you that is keeping you from drinking, you better get that fixed!"

"Oh, that won't last long." (snicker, snicker)

****

I will have to admit that if any of my own friends told me that they give up drinking, I would probably have the same reaction(s).

What I find really interesting is the difference in the reactions when I tell them it is more of a "personal choice" to stop rather than a "medical choice". They can accept a medical reason.

There are some who are really uncomfortable with this concept.

I wonder why?

I wonder why their discomfort makes me uncomfortable?

Hmmmmmmm again.

Looking back at my drinking habits...I wonder if I was headed towards a serious problem. Every day you can read conflicting opinions about alcohol: "1 glass of wine a day is good for you and may reduce your risk of some kinds of cancer" to " drinking every day can lead to serious health problems".

I know, I know - drinking 1 glass a day is a LOT different than drinking 1 bottle a day and it's all about how much you are consuming.

Anyway - for the moment, this is what I am doing...or not doing - however you want to look at it.

The office Holiday party should be interesting this year! Also - some of the conferences that I attend where the standard practice of "meeting later for drinks" will no doubt raise a few questions offer some interesting challenges.

I tell you what though, I'm saving a lot of money and losing weight because of my abstinence!!! So far I am only seeing benefits!

8 comments:

Shark Butt said...

I've always wondered why it made others uncomfortable that I didn't drink either. I've also developed fun answers as why over the years.

Kari Hultman said...

Not to mention, you're saving a lot of brain cells, too.

I gave up drinking years ago. You can't run power tools when you're tipsy. ; )

Presbyfruit's History Bits said...

I also gave up drinking because I was using it to manage my anxiety. Some people actually seemed insulted that I don't touch the stuff.

Good on you!

Shazza said...

SB - you will have to share some of those fun answers! I can only imagine! At least now you and I can compare notes on everyone else when we venture out!

VC - Ohhhh...more shop accident pictures are running through my head!! Yikes!

Presby - I think that is/what I have been doing as well...managing anxiety. I just recentely noticed that it was only adding to it.

Thank you all for your comments...I appreciate the support.

mccutcheon said...

I wanted to comment, but I just had too much to say so my comment ran away. I think it's on my blog now :)

Shazza said...

I read your comment/blog McC! Good for you!

Middle Girl said...

I'm on the other side of your coin. I drink more these days (this year) than I have ever---but that's still not very much. One or two every few days, is all.

I gained weight when I didn't drink at all. I had/have problems sleeping w/o benefit of alcohol.

I don't drink when feel stressed.

People who drink (especially those to excess) are not comfortable around those who don't. I'm not comfortable around those who drink to excess.

Shazza said...

Thanks Only - I appreciate your comments.

I have to admit, I miss the ritual of having wine on the weekends or while I am cooking. I may try the non-alcoholic wine as a substitute, but for now I have a nice cuppa chamomile tea instead.

A mug of tea isn't as glamourous as a glass of wine, but it calms me down and helps me unwind.