Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Backpack vs. Purse

Up until about 1 1/2 years ago I carried most of my "personal stuff" to and from work in a backpack.

I've had to dress up my act a bit because now I am in a position where I have to "look the part", and your basic Jansport nylon backpack doesn't quite work well with a suit. Also, shoving things in my pants pockets kind of makes me look like an inverted chipmunk.

Carrying a purse is the most awkward thing for me. I don't know what to do with it most of the time or I leave it behind because I forget about it. (Or subconsciously I don't want to be seen with it).

Generally, the people that I meet in my business carry either a backpack, fanny pack or an assorted variety of tote bags that they have collected at various conference throughout the year. I'm kind of thinking that wouldn't mind if I didn't carry a purse, but it just doesn't look too professional.

Soooooo, I bought a spiffy new briefcase last week and thought that would solve all my problems. It's big enough to carry my laptop and shove in assorted papers and whatever, but by the time I shoved in all of my personal stuff, the thing got so damned bulky it just looks like an overstuffed mess!

I need a bag in a bag. I need a briefcase that I can carry my laptop in, but then have a little bag inside of it that will carry my wallet, keys, b-berry, cell phone, checkbook, assorted "feminine needs" and of course the tweezers!!

Dressier than a backpack, not as girlie as a purse, something sturdy and smart looking.

Then I can pull the bag, out of the bag because I don't need my briefcase all of the time, but I need something smaller for business lunches...whatever.

Does such a thing exist?

It probably does, but I'm just not looking in the right places.

7 comments:

mccutcheon said...

hmmm... not that I can think of. But if you want a briefcase that is neither too briefcase-ish nor to feminine try ikea:
http://www.welt.de/multimedia/archive/00235/Laptop_Taschen_IKEA_235754a.jpg

I absolutely love Uptäcka. They have it in black too if you want to go for something more serious (finn has the black one, I use the orange one), it protects your laptop well, it doesn't kill your shoulder when you carry it. It just doesn't have a bag in the bag. And I don't know if IKEA sells it in the U.S. It's not on the website (neither on the Austrian one), but here you can get it in the IKEA family part of the store.

gosh, I love IKEA...

mccutcheon said...

I just saw that the link doesn't show up completely, but if you highlight it and copy it it should work...

Shazza said...

Thanks McC - there is an IKEA store not too far from me. I'm long overdue for a visit to roam around!

Shazza said...

Uhhhhhhh...what language is that website in? LOL

Middle Girl said...

Such a thing must exist. I haven't found it yet, but it must. Until it's found, improvisation is the order of the day. Try a clutch in the bag.

finn said...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/
sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=
5487&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~ck=anav

here's something for you...it's only one link. so you have to copy paste all three lines into one...below is McC's link in two lines so you don't have to worry about the strange language the page is in but get straight to the picture of the very cool IKEA bag we use...

http://www.welt.de/multimedia/archive/00235/
Laptop_Taschen_IKEA_235754a.jpg

Presbyfruit's History Bits said...

Sorry, Shazza. I can't help you. I carry a big, honking handbag with enough room for a full-size calendar and a book in case I'm stuck in the car while the Village Carpenter is at
Home Depot or a lumberyard.